"All India Postal Employees Union Group-C" Telangana Circle, Hyderabad - 500 020.
AnOrganisationHighlightingThePrincipleOfUnityAndStruggle for the advancement of postal workers.
WORKERS UNITY ZINDABAD
Monday 26 June 2017
Counting of Training Period for MACP - Clarifications
I wish to share the following on the counting the period of Induction and practical training for MACPS in the Department Of Posts. Hitherto the training period has not been taken into account for the grant of promotion under MACPS. On perusal of the rulings on the subject, it seems that the period of training is to be taken into account for MACPS also. Whether this period is included for MACPS in other circles, is not known.
A kind reference is invited to the following orders on the subject.
Dte letter no 4-7/(MACPS)/2009-PCC dt 18.9.2009
Dte letter no 4-7/(MACPS)/2009-PCC dt 23.6.2016
All the candidates selected for PA cadre are to undergo Induction and practical training for 90/105 days, before regular appointment.
1. Such period of training was not counted for anything and their pay and allowances, increments were regulated from their actual date of joining in the department as Postal Assistants.
2. Subsequently, orders were issued for counting the training period for increments and for the promotions (financial upgradations) under TBOP and BCR schemes, vide Dept. of Personnel and Trg OM 16/16/92-Estt(pay I) dt 31.3.1992.
3. The above provision was made applicable with effect from 1.1.1986. The pay of the officials was notionally fixed from 1.1.1986 to 30.9.1990 and on actual basis from 1.10.1990.
4. The above provision was applicable to those officials who underwent training on or after 1.1.1986.
5. The provision was extended to officials who underwent training before 1.1.86 videDte order number: 44-2/2011-SPB II dated 5.5.2016. The list of officials is called for by DO and the same has been submitted to DO.
6. The scheme of MACPS was introduced consequent on the implementation of 6th CPC with effect from 1.1.2006.
7. This scheme was given effect from 1.9.2008 vide reference cited under 1 above.
8. The salient features of the scheme were given in the Annexure-I to the communication cited under 2 above.
9. The second sentence of para 9 of the Annexure read as follows: “Service rendered on adhoc/contract basis before regular appointment or pre-appointment training shall not be taken into reckoning. A casual reading of the text gives the meaning that the pre-appointment training shall not be taken into reckoning. Under this context, the training period was omitted for the grant of MACP to the officials, it is presumed.
10. But a close reading of the above text gives a different but correct meaning. The meaning of the above text may be explained as follows. If the sentence is broken into smaller parts, they read as follows.
a. Service rendered on adhoc/contract basis before regular appointment shall not be taken into reckoning.
b. Service rendered on adhoc/contract basis before pre-appointment training shall not be taken into reckoning.
11. From (a) and (b) above it is clear that only the service, if any, rendered on adhoc/contract basis either before regular appointment or before pre-appointment training shall not be taken into reckoning.
12. From the above it is clear that pre-appointment training shall count for MACPS, as the above text speaks only about the services rendered on adhoc or contract basis which might before regular appointment or before pre-appointment training, and nothing about the training period.
13. As per the communication cited under 2 above, the second sentence of para 9 is modified as follows: “service rendered on adhoc/contract basis before regular appointment on pre-appointment training shall not be taken into reckoning.”
14. From the above it is clear that any service rendered on adhoc/contract basis will not count, but the training period counts for the grant of promotion under MACPS. It is added that as per our departmental rules, the training period is neither treated as service on adhocbasis nor on contract basis in as much as this period counts for increment and also for TBOP/BCR promotions.
15. For clarity sake consider the following rule of our department. “ Air journey on LTC is not permissible” which means that no government servant is entitled for air journey on LTC but LTC can be availed. This does not take away the privileges granted under LTC. The restriction is for air journey only.
16. Also as per the developments taken place towards the counting of training period for service, the training period counts for increment and TBOP/BCR schemes.
17. It is added that just like TBOP/BCR schemes, MACPS is also a financial upgradation only. Hence the provision of counting training period towards TBOP/BCR will squarely applicable to MACPS also.
Those officials, who have completed 16/26 years’ service before 1.9.2008, had no problems, as their pay would have been fixed on the date of promotion to TBOP/BCR schemes prior to 1.9.2008. If the training period is included, the date of promotion to TBOP/BCR would be advanced and their pay would be refixed accordingly.
In case of the officials who have got their MACP after 1.9.2008, the date of MACPS is to be advanced.